Monday, June 23, 2014

A sewing delay and some polka dot shoes

So much for my grand sewing plans. I got blindsided by a stomach bug and was down for the count for a while. No eating meant no energy, so I just wanted to sleep instead of being right next to that buzzing needle. It's probably for the best, I sewed through my finger once and weak and sleep deprived would be a sure fire way to make that happen again!


I did make some progress on the April Rhodes Staple Dress that my silky sheer floral was ear marked for though. I'm tall and leggy with wide shoulders, a muslin is a must (with the exception of knits, I just throw in some length and call it good), so I yanked out some hideous thrifted sheets and butchered them right up. Alterations made I started in on the real thing.

Other than hemming (and pressing!) it is complete. That fabric is a pain in the butt to work with and I don't know how I want to hem it yet, I fooled around with a few different methods yesterday but I'm still not sold on any of them. I need to just bite the bullet and pick one. Regardless of how I proceed I'm sure there will be a few curse words! Then it's on to a slip before I can share it without also sharing parts of me better left unseen haha


I've got some new shoes at least though! These are a pretty blatant copy of the ones that Amy from The Idea Room shared over at The Polka Dot Chair.

I grabbed some navy tennies from Target, a bottle of white fabric paint, an ugly pencil and just went to town.


The Husband walked in to me bent over them at the kitchen table dipping and dotting away and said they "look neat." For a man of few words, who doesn't notice much of the things I DIY that's some high praise. I'm pretty stoked with them too! I didn't use any sort of grid or pattern like Amy did, I just free handed the little polka dots on there. I may spray them with some sort of sealer just to help them hold up for future use, but they came through the day at work unscathed without any sort of protection.



And I've got some extra motivation to burn through some of my fabric stash!
This cedar chest is full. I just donated an entire garbage bag full of fabric that I didn't see myself ever using in the next decade and I still can't close the lid. The following day I see a challenge from Sally at The Quirky Peach pop up on my blog feed....perfect timing!! Summer Stashbust 2014 here I come. I (like most of us) have a list of things I want to make, the challenge will be to do it from my current stash and stay away from spending hours gleefully wandering through JoAnns or browsing online. My wallet will also thank me.


No comments:

Post a Comment